How do you create a luxury experience, against the backdrop of New York’s Meatpacking district?
Luxury Korean car brand Genesis, needed to define and deliver a consistent, on-brand experience centre, that would be an oasis in the heart of this hip, commercial area on the west side.
The Engine Service Design Team worked with Genesis to translate their vison for Genesis House, into a detailed visitor experience. Genesis House opened in late 2021 to critical acclaim and celebrates elevated living through rich surroundings, Michelin-starred cuisine and intellectual nourishment.
Client: Genesis Duration:
Genesis wanted to develop an experience centre that exemplified the quality, craftsmanship and attention to detail their cars are renowned for. They had a vision for a venue that blended Korean culture with state-of-the-art vehicles and immersive visitor experiences.
Defining the visitor experience
Drawn from the Genesis brand identity system, the Engine Service Design team defined four principles at the heart of the visitor’s experience:
1. The customer’s digital experience must represent progressive use of technology, replicating innovative digital experiences they would have experienced in similar situations.
2. The customer’s digital experience must ensure every interaction be as simple and easy as possible.
3. The customer’s non-digital experience must be outstanding when enhanced with technology.
4. Interaction with a digital interface must be beautifully elegant.
Experience-led programme management
Throughout the project, Engine Service Design worked with Genesis HQ, their partners, and American subsidiaries to source and evaluate vendors and support local architects, audio-visual experts and other specialist consultants to resolve issues that may impact the customer’s experience.
Adopting an experience-led approach to programme management, we ensured the inevitable challenges and trade-offs were managed without compromising on the vision and experience of the space.
Defining the requirements of digital touch points
Broadly speaking, Genesis House has five experience domains:
1. Onjium: A Michelin-starred restaurant and cultural institute from Seoul dedicated to merging the traditions of Korean culture with modernity.
2. A Scholar’s (Seonbi) Room: Filled with special edition books, luxury display items, and unique accessories.
3. The Showroom: Offering a boutique-like setting where you can get comfortable in the Genesis that best fits your lifestyle.
4. The Cellar Stage: Outfitted with floor-to-ceiling LED-lit staging and state-of-the-art audio-visual technology for events and thought leadership summits.
5. Genesis Studio: An intimate luxury environment where you can focus in on finding the right vehicle for you.
For each domain, we defined the activities that would take place before, during and after a visit and defined (linking back to the four experience principles) what the requirements of each digital product would need to be.
“Defining a clear set of experience principles, aligned to our brand was central to ensuring the digital touchpoints that would support and enable the experience to be brought to life and consistently delivered”
Identify the difference between what you do today and what your future customers don’t yet know they need. Reimagine the future.
Unlock new value by imagining, designing and piloting services and experiences your colleagues are inspired to deliver and your customers will love.
Mobilise your organisation with a plan to change, build or buy what’s needed to deliver new services and experiences.
When legacy issues and disjointed ways of working are impacting your customer experience and critical metrics, you need a trusted partner to guide you.
When you need to think differently to stay ahead, but you’re unsure how to differentiate your customer experience, you need a trusted partner to guide you.
How design-led companies get more of the right services to market faster
With this book, the authors show you how to instil an outside-in approach to strategy; moving away from a management approach that’s technology, marketing or resource optimization-led, to one that is customer-inspired and experimental with innovation.